Idols, Highs, and Lows
Saturday, May 29 at 9:54 a.m.
Has anyone out there been following the latest American Idol? I've never been very interested in the show, but I did manage to watch the last two episodes. I was underwhelmed. But, I was impressed by how self possessed the finalists were considering that, at sixteen and nineteen, they are both younger than I am. I was nowhere near being that confident when I was sixteen. At least I don't think I was. You'll have to tell me.

Coincidently, I visited my old high school recently. I think I was a little surprised to find that it hasn't changed all that much. As I was walking into the foyer, I thought to myself of how that place had been home to me for five of the most formative years of my life. By the time I left, I was cured of any such nostalgic fancy. High school was good. And yes it did play a large role in my life during those years. But it never really became "home" to me. I'm not entirely sure why. I'm also not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

But back to Idol for a bit.

The two things I found most interesting to watch for were how the contestants stood and what they did with their hands. Those are, in my humble opinion, two of the most difficult aspects of public performance. Trias did not have the standing down.

Barrino's rendition of Summertime was very nice.

And finally, what was up with all that lip gloss? I remember seeing Alicia Sliverstone on The View a while back. She had the lip gloss going and I kept on thinking that she looked like she couldn't stop herself from drooling all over the place while she was speaking. Similar thoughts crossed my mind this time around as well.

And that's about it. I'm going to be heading out soon to walk around this beautiful city of mine. All are welcome to join me.

Actually, one more thing. I'm sure that most of you are aware that the ROM has free admission on Friday evenings after 4:30pm. The Bata Shoe Museum also has free admission on Thursday nights from 5:00 to 8:00.

Summertime
George Gershwin

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But till that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With daddy and mamma standing by

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

0 Comments: