Re: Oh Canada! addendum and other stuff
Monday, September 22 at 2:12 a.m.
Good point Vineet. I've asked myself the same question many times before, but I'm still undecided. I know it's wrong, but.... I guess that's my take on file sharing as well. That's not much of a stand, I know. Honestly, if I was out of school, working, I would buy software. I can appreciate the amount of work involved in creating something like Photoshop. Just not right now.

On the other hand, I think that the idea of copyright protection has been taken too far. Quoting from Slashdot.org:

"Did you know the Dewey Decimal System isn't in the public domain? The rights are owned by the Online Computer Library Center. They are suing the Library Hotel in New York for trademark infringement. In addition, according to the article, libraries pay at least $500/year to use the system."

I think the whole copyright system is a bit much. For instance, Jon told me that "Happy Birthday" is copyright. (copyrighted?) That means you are not allowed to sing it in public/groups. That means all of us break that copyright at least once a year. Hmm... that might explain why places like Jack's and Montana's have those really lame birthday song things.

added: also, I don't know if I agree with your thoughts on secular music; I listen to a lot of secular music. I think that you should be careful what you listen to, but I don't think you have to refrain completely. I think music is part of our culture... I don't think we're supposed to ignore/shun our culture. This is a rather incomplete thought, I have to think some more.

Anyway... How was your hike Vineet? Breakfast? How was Church?

Chris
0 Comments: