From Here and There
Friday, July 28 at 1:19 p.m.
...and Everywhere

1.
NOW Magazine is running an article on water. I found this particular statement to be pretty interesting:

3. Boycott Bottled Water
Bottled water companies are sucking up huge amounts of water from rural springs and municipal supplies - and paying next to nothing to do it. In Ontario, companies can withdraw up to 50,000 litres from surface or groundwater sources per day without approval from the Ministry of the Environment, which has already given bottled water companies permission to pump a staggering 1,800 billion litres a year out of underground aquifers. As a result, groundwater reserves are being tapped out, reducing the flow of streams and lakes and causing stress on ecosystems. [...] The world's two biggest-selling brands of bottled water - Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani - are nothing more than treated tap water sold to an oblivious public as pure drinking water at astronomical profit rates. To add to the ecological and health fallout, Grass Roots Recycling Network estimates that more than 800 million pounds of virgin plastic water bottles are discarded every year. [....]

Someone who had been on a tour through a water purification plant with their class related something along similar lines to me - basically, Toronto's tap water is much safer to drink than the spring water you find at your grocery store.

2.
Superman Returns has been open for about a month now, and has grossed just a little over $180 million.

What can I say about this film? Let me put it this way: Superman has indeed returned. But he forgot to bring a plot with him.

And real estate? Really? That was so Superman IV.1

3.
While on my trip down south, I found myself eating out an aweful lot. In the ten days we were there, I ate at Ryans (several times), Cracker Barrel, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, and Applebees. And this does not account for the large amounts of junk food and pop - those staples of the road trip diet - that we consumed.

Ryan's is a buffet, similar to Golden Corral, another restaurant I visited in Virginia, during our last trip there. The food is decent, the selection good. They also have 'theme days', so if you're lucky, you might end up there on Seafood Day or Steak Day.

Cracker Barrel, is of course, that place of good ol' fashioned cookin'. It was my first time there, and I wasn't especially impressed. They just serve you a lot of food. And then charge you for it.

I must admit, however, that I was pleasantly surprised by Chik-Fil-A. Their sandwiches, and milkshakes, are very good for not-so-fast fast food.

Subway is Subway. You can 'eat fresh', or something like that there.

And then, we have Applebees.2 I have a bit more to say on Applebees, but I'll leave it for later.

4.
I was just perusing some newsfeeds and saw that David Gemmell has passed away.

Mind you, Gemmel was not the writer of any 'high' heroic fantasy, like Tolkien or Lewis. But he did enable me to pass many a boring high school class with my attention occupied elsewhere.

And for that, I'm grateful.

  • 1Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure about that. It's been a long time since I've seen the original Superman films.

  • 1I was under the impression that it was my first time going to Applebees, but a friend was kind enough to remind me afterwards, as I was relating the visit, that we had eaten there together a few years ago. I suppose this could mean that it wasn't all that memorable. But truthfully, I think my mind was occupied elsewhere.

0 Comments: