The Roundup: Spring/Summer 2006
Thursday, June 8 at 10:50 p.m.
Yes, yes, it's that time of the season again. You know, the one where I tell you about all the great films that are coming out in the next little while.

I guess I'm a little late this time, but that's okay. So, here we go. (In order of release date, as far as I can tell.)

Thank You for Smoking (Still Playing. I think.)
On the topic of the cigarette industry. As you might have surmised from the title.

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (Now Playing. Somewhere)
"This book was post-modern before there was any modernism to be post about."

Funniest thing I've seen in a long time. In an intelligent way. Based on the book by Laurence Sterne. Directed by Michael Winterbottom

Brick (Now Playing)
Film Noir meets High School Soap Opera. And it works surprisingly well.

Art School Confidential (Now Playing)
But is it art?

Sketches of Frank Ghery (Now Playing)
If you've no idea who he is, then don't bother. But you should.

X-Men: The Last Stand (Now Playing)
Mixed reviews, but seems to be trying to make a good statement: class, racism and all that.

District B13 (Now Playing)
I saw the French version - it's a good ol' fashioned action flick. Features Parkour ('Free Running') heavily. Directed by Luc Besson.

A Prairie Home Companion (June 9th)
Based on the radio program of the same name. With Garrison Keillor, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Kline, Lindsay Lohan, Virginia Madsen, Meryl Streep, and Lily Tomlin. And, directed by Robert Altman. What more needs to be said?

Cars (June 9th)
Pixar's latest offering. I had serious doubts about this when it was announced. But now I've been won over - it'll be fantastic, as usual.

The Lake House (June 16th)
Starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Interesting premise. And I'm a sucker for romance. Sue me.

Who Killed the Electric Car? (June 28th)
Who did actually kill electric car? The automotive industry? Big oil? Asks good questions, even if it doesn't necessarily pack answers.

The Devil Wears Prada (June 30th)
Again, with Meryl Streep. I have no idea how she does it. Anne Hathaway costars.

Superman Returns - (June 30th)
How can I put this? This movie will be terrible. But it's Superman. And, apparently, the most expensive film ever made. So yeah.

A Scanner Darkly (July 7th)
Based on the novel by Phillip K. Dick. Uses cell-shading. Watch it if only for those two reasons.

Monster House (July 21st)
Latest (I think) from Steven Spielberg

The Lady in the Water (July 21st)
M. Night Shyamalan's latest offering. An adult fairytale of sorts. Starring Paul Giamatti.

Little Miss Sunshine (July 26th)
A little hard to describe. Just watch the trailer.

The Namesake (November 3rd)
Directed by Mira Nair. Based on the book by Jhumpa Lahiri. Stars Kal Penn. Kinda far away, I admit, but one to keep on the radar.

As I've said before, I don't think much of Ms.Lahiri's writing, but I do think that this is a topic that needs to be addressed. And, she is adding something to the dicussion.

And there you have it.

Disclaimer: The mention of any name or film in the above should not be construed as a condonation of them on my part.
So if I understand correctly, comments such as "it'll be fantastic" and "watch it if only for those two reasons" should not be "construed as a condonation" of said films. Somehow I don't think your disclaimer will impress the target audience.

Jonathan
Anonymous Anonymous at 6/13/2006 05:40:00 p.m.  
Okay, so I condone those films...
2 Comments:
So if I understand correctly, comments such as "it'll be fantastic" and "watch it if only for those two reasons" should not be "construed as a condonation" of said films. Somehow I don't think your disclaimer will impress the target audience.

Jonathan
Anonymous Anonymous at 6/13/2006 05:40:00 p.m.  
Okay, so I condone those films...