Dreams
Tuesday, October 12 at 11:20 a.m.
I had a strange dream last night.

I was in a grocery store, trying to use a pay phone to call a friend. But, I couldn't remember the number. To make matters worse, there was something wrong with the phone's switch hook, so I couldn't properly cut the line each time I dialled a wrong number.

Then, a girl who had been standing behind me, waiting to use the phone, walked up and started to dial a number. I was incensed and told her to wait. A short time later the phone next to me became available and I moved over to it to see if it was working properly. It was fine, but I still couldn't remember the number. It was then that I awoke, and of course, I remembered the number right away.

Some time ago, I heard this verse quoted in reference to the strange dreams one might have:

Ecclesiastes 5: 3
As a dream comes when there are many cares,
so the speech of a fool when there are many words.

Since it's in the Bible, it must be true. But why is it so? Here's my theory:

Scientists tell us that sleep occurs in four stages through which we cycle. Dreaming only takes place during stage one in a period called Rapid Eye Movement (REM). "REM" because of the way our eyes move beneath our eyelids as we dream.

Now here's where it gets interesting: in order for you to be properly rested, you need REM sleep - you need to dream. But if you're not sleeping long enough, you don't have the opportunity to cycle through all four stages; you don't get enough REM sleep. Your body has a way of compensating for this - it makes you enter REM sleep faster the next time you try to rest. In fact, deprive yourself of sleep long enough and you'll starting entering REM sleep almost immediately. And if you wake up during REM sleep, you'll more than likely remember what you were dreaming of.

Of course, I have no proof that there is indeed a connection between the verse and what we know of sleep patterns. But, I don't think it would be wrong to say that usually, people who worry the most also sleep the least.

On the other hand, staying up late working on assignments is probably a pretty good way to deprive yourself of sleep and remember your dreams too.

And if you're wondering, yes, I do dream in colour.

Dreams I Dream For You
Avalon
From the album A Maze Of Grace

You taste the tears
You're lost in sorrow
You see your yesterdays
I see tomorrow

You see the darkness
I see the spark
You know your failures
But I know your heart

The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones you're clinging to
More precious than the finest things you knew
And truer than the treasures you pursue

Let the old dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
Then take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of
The dreams I dream for you

You see your shame
But I see your glory
You've read one page
I know the story

I hold a vision
That you'll become
As you grow into the truth
As you learn to walk in love

Yes, I know I've posted that song before. Oh well.
0 Comments: