Just My Luck
Thursday, September 7 at 11:31 a.m.
Here's a little known fact: my middle initial, 'S', stands for 'Shankar'.

The name Shankar means 'auspicious' or 'lucky'. It's a derivation of Shankara, which is another name for Lord Shiva in his form as "the auspicious one". (Wikipedia has a lengthy article on the subject for anyone who's interested.)

In spite of my name, I've never considered myself a lucky person. But a few weeks ago, one Wednesday afternoon, I got a call from Exclaim Magazine. The voice on the phone told me that I was the winner of an Epiphone Les Paul.

It was interesting that just a few days prior, I had told some friends that even though we've had an acoustic guitar in the house for about four years, I still didn't know how to play it.

On hearing what I had won, the same friends insisted that this was a sign - I need to learn how to play the guitar. I'm really not one for the signs, but I have started learning.

It's going slowly.

And here's another song by Sixpence None The Richer. It was playing at the Home Depot last night.

"Kiss Me" was released when I was in high school, I think. I do remember that all my friends would laugh and change the station whenever it was played on the radio.

I would just keep quite, because I actually liked the song. Of course, I never dared to admit that.


Kiss me
Sixpence None The Richer
From the album Sixpence None The Richer

Kiss me out of the bearded barley
Nightly, beside the green, green grass
Swing, swing, swing the spinning step
You wear those shoes and I will wear that dress.

Oh, kiss me beneath the milky twilight
Lead me out on the moonlit floor
Lift your open hand
Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance
Silver moon's sparkling
So kiss me

Kiss me down by the broken tree house
Swing me upon its hanging tire
Bring, bring, bring your flowered hat
We'll take the trail marked on your father's map

If you listen carefully, you can hear that they've sampled the same guitar twice, split it between the left and right channels, and applied some effects to one channel.

It's a great (and cheap) way to add some depth to a recording. The more you know, right?
this was one of the first songs i learnt to play on the guitar, before i discovered i was tone deaf.
Hmm... It's kind of weird to play as well. And it's not really a song a guy can "sing".
2 Comments:
this was one of the first songs i learnt to play on the guitar, before i discovered i was tone deaf.
Hmm... It's kind of weird to play as well. And it's not really a song a guy can "sing".