nothing
Monday, January 19 at 12:23 a.m.
i'm breaking my silence. something must be up. actually, i suppose that i should first apologise to all nice people out there who still visit even though i haven't been saying anything of late. much thanks.

i just read an article by Dave Barry, whom i've mentioned before. he speaks of a work of art that he encountered. his sentiments mirror my own concerning such things. i think the current trend in art critcism is akin to that attitude displayed by the courtiers in The Emperor's New Clothes: everyone knows there's nothing there, but no one wants to say so for fear of looking stupid.

well, i don't really care what they think of me, so i'll say what's on my mind. my confidence is also bolstered by the fact that "they" will most probably never read this. "chair" by Rodney McMillian is not art. it is garbage. nothing more. ironically this work and the attitude behind it are best described in the words of one who gave it much acclaim: "...we've got plenty of nothing and that nothing is plenty for us."

here's a song i should have included earlier:

Art In Me
Jars of Clay

Images on the sidewalk speak of dream's decent
Washed away by storms to graves of cynical lament
Dirty canvases to call my own
Protest lyrics carved by the old pay phone

In your picture book I'm trying hard to see
Turning endless pages of this tragedy
Sculpting every move you compose a symphony
You plead to everyone, "See the art in me."

Broken stained-glass windows, the fragments ramble on
Tales of broken souls, an eternity's been won
As critics scorn the thoughts and works of mortal man
My eyes are drawn to you in awe once again

In your picture book I'm trying hard to see
Turning endless pages of this tragedy
Sculpting every move you compose a symphony
You plead to everyone, "See the art in me."

0 Comments: